Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Post #3 – Reich

The artifact that I have chosen is Hillary Clinton’s response to the email debacle when she served as the Secretary of State.


This is a unique story because I feel like it encompasses all of Reich’s cultural parables. Working down the list I will try and explain my reasoning for each one. Throughout all of them are each of the process premises of the people’s needs, emotions, our attitude towards her policy, and the lack of consistency in her speech.

Mob at the gates: From this parable there is a multitude of people calling for her head due to the implications of her potentially committing several crimes and legally committing several crimes as well. There are numerous people that speak out in objection to her decisions and want some answers. Rightly so because of the nature of her job, there were some national security problems which her choices caused. The misleading and lack of information given to the people caused an uproar that would be hard to extinguish. The American people felt as though they were betrayed and lied to and a vast majority, felt like they could not trust her or her motives behind her actions.

The Triumphant Individual: Although Hillary is not considered to be “the little guy” she received a lot of grief over her poor decisions as secretary of state, and still came out of her seemingly apparent failure as a presidential candidate. As my dad used to say, “How do some people fall in a pile of shit and come out smelling like a rose?” I think that even though she made some very wrong choices it didn’t affect her as some initially thought. She is still a very powerful woman and is in the running for a presidential slot (which scares the hell out of me).

The Benevolent Community: This one is interesting to me. After all of her scandal and crap that was being thrown at her, Hillary still had a huge populous rally around her and tell her how great she was and give her props for apparently committing a crime and getting away with it. It somehow gave her some sort of “street credibility” if you will. She has a large following that will support her through just about anything it seems.

Rot at the Top: This is where I see Hillary shine. To me she is a cancer that needs to be removed. She has gained much ground in the past years leading to her again presidential race through a midst of her failure after failure. She gets Americans killed in Benghazi, lies about emails in her personal account and discards each of them as if they were just a simple mistake like leaving the bathroom light on. However, she is too powerful, wealthy, and public to have anything happen to her. She, and people like her are what is wrong with our country. Getting away with things is an art to them that can easily be mastered in the eye of the public.


Not that my opinion counts for much, but I would like to see her in prison right next to Obama and John Kerry. Her persuasion techniques might work on people who don’t know any better but I am not one of them. She speaks through both sides of her mouth and never clearly gets to her stance and views on what is asked of her. I would rather let Donald Trump’s hair be president over Hillary Clinton. Also, sorry this is so damn long!

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely dislike her for this!! This makes me so frustrated! I had no idea that she responded to this situation, thank you for posting this!!! She sounds emotionally disconnected in her response and I wish she took responsibility instead of defended her wrong doing.

    ReplyDelete